Art, Inspiration and General Musings

November 18, 2009

The Inklings :: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

I belong to a book club called the Inklings. Like many book clubs, we meet once a month to discuss our most recent read. This month's selection was The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. 

Set shortly after World War II, the book is composed of a series of letters between an author named Juliet Ashton, her publisher, best friend and a group of wonderful characters who live on the island of Guernsey, located in the English Channel. Through the letters, a marvelous and often heart-wrenching tale unfolds. Each letter reveals a little about its writer, the other members of the community and what life on Guernsey was like during the Nazi occupation. Some of the stories told are joyous while other will make you forget to breath. 

By the end of the book, I was envisioning myself jotting off to Guernsey and, in my mind, all the personalities that I read about were there waiting for me. Oh, and I found the recipe for Potato Peel Pie. I'm thinking of making it for the Inklings meeting next week!

1 comments:

eEp said...

Funny, I just read this...it was very good.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails