Art, Inspiration and General Musings

November 3, 2009

Art Happens :: NaNoWriMo

It's day three of National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo), "the largest writing contest in the world," and I've decided to join the 150,000 would-be-writers, from some 90 countries who have committed to writing 50,000 words during the month of November. With 30 days in the month, that averages out to around 1,666 words a day. So far, I've put 2,072 words to paper, which means I have to write another 2,900 words today to stay on track. 

According to the press release for NaNoWriMo, only 18% of the writers participating actually "win" by finishing the 50,000 words. Winners don't actually receive prizes and no one from the site even reads the completed manuscripts, but every year thousands are motivated by creativity and the challenge. Whether or not I'll be a "winner" will be determined as the month, and my story, rolls on. 

If you feel like signing up, it's not too late! 

3 comments:

Olla Explosion said...

!! I'm so excited for you... I've been toying around with trying again this year. hmm it's not too late.

Bows and Sparrows said...

It's kind of fun. I'm going to try to not get caught up on the word count. :) My goal is to just try to finish.

Denise | Chez Danisse said...

Tempting, but...so much else in the works. Hmmm... Enjoy!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails